Monday, November 7, 2011

A Mother's Love.

A Mother's Love was one of 7 that I entered into an art show this past weekend and one which  I had great success in last year.  The number of entries was unlimited, so I thought I'd try my luck in the categories of Animals, Still Life (any medium) and Drawing where scratchboard art was listed although it was not mentioned last year.

I received a Highly Commended for this piece which I feel I was lucky to receive, after having been told by a couple of those in attendance on the opening night that the "Judge" did not like scratchboard art, which was a highly unprofessional comment to make!  Oh well, at least he thought my work was worth a HC which was certainly surprising.

2 comments:

Rita said...

That's how it is, isn't it? It's the same type of thing with all kinds of art...subjective opinions. And the judges preferences rule. It's that way with writing, too, as a matter of fact. Well, you were talking about entering less next year. I wouldn't enter anything where that judge is involved. It may have been highly unprofessional for anyone to tell you that, but it is helpful. And they obviously told you because they thought the judge was unfair, so that's a plus, too. I guess coming from that judge a HC was pretty good after all.

Serena said...

Well done on the Highly Recommended but I think it's terrible that some judges can be so selective in their personal preferences. Very unfair as people pay out money to enter these shows. Unfortunately, this sort of things happens way more than it should. Yep, steer clear of future shows he will be judging....do you get to know prior to entering who the judges will be?

Your Mother's Love piece is beautiful, Judy.